Monday, November 3, 2014

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Title: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Release Date: June 14, 2012

Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers

Pages: 394

Received: eBook

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★  

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.
As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself? [goodreads]



My Thoughts:


This book stands for all the things I could hope for in a YA Contemporary. The only possible outcome would be a smile on your face. It has a solid premise and entertaining story. I've enjoyed looking into the eyes of the main character, Samantha. MY LIFE NEXT DOOR teaches you more than one lesson about life and what is truly important in it.

Next door to Samantha's house are the Garretts. The Garretts are everything Samantha's family isn't. She secretly watches them on her roof and can only dream to be one of them. Then Jase Garrett takes her by storm and climbs onto her roof. Their love story is never just merely cute. There is something deeper in the story other than love. Family, friendships, relationships, and first loves are what make this story. This contemporary is unique and will sweep you off your feet.

This was the perfect book to read on my contemporary kick. I know my kick is dying down, but this will certainly not be my last. Samantha and Jase's relationship is my ideal relationship. All their encounters warmed my heart and soul. The love story isn't the most important aspect in a YA book for once. All characters (including minors) are all intriguing and engaging. The humor and awkward moments put a smile on my face. I tried my best to savor every laugh, but I couldn't stop devouring MY LIFE NEXT DOOR. The plot wasn't perfectly executed, but the character dynamics really made up for it. The ending didn't "wow" me, but from the characters and family/relationships, the novel redeemed itself.

This book is a perfect getaway from anything bothering you. Coming from a "not so rich" family, I related to the Garretts and they'll always be a family I'd dream of having. But I'm doing fine with my own. MY LIFE NEXT DOOR is a great novel full of love, friendship, and family. It's a must-read for anyone who loves quality young adult literature.

4/5 STARS














































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik