Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Title: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Release Date: March 4, 2014

Publisher: FSG

Pages: 355

Received: Bought

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★½ ☆ 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction.
Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. [goodreads]



My Thoughts:


THE WINNER'S CURSE is a fresh, new appeal and a good edition to add to the YA Fantasy category. I bought this book right on the release date, but never had the chance to read it. It may have been the hype, or I had too many books at the time. But overall, it wasn't perfect. It lacked a few things, but it's easy to forget those things and get lost in the world. 

Kestrel is a general's daughter and she has been given two choices: join the military or get married. She has other plans. That's when a slave, Arin, is up for sale and Kestrel buys him. She's not sure what's his deception, but she soon will unravel his secrets. Until she starts having feelings for Arin. Kestrel has paid a price of deception.

This world was beyond, unique. It took me a little longer than usual to finish the book because I'm in school. But I read 3/4 of the book in one night, so it kept me on the edge of my seat. The world building was alluring. I think I enjoyed the world more than the plot...oops. It had its slow and dragging parts. It feels like not that much happened. The way Marie Rutkoski ingrained slavery in this novel, was intriguing and a brave take. 

The characters are on a whole different level. Kestrel was a strong lead, but bore my eyes out at the same time. I enjoyed the characteristics Kestrel had. She is true to her words and sets her eyes upon her objective. Arin wasn't my "dream" boyfriend. But even though his words were the truth, the truth always hurts. I've recently heard THE WINNER'S CURSE was suppose to reflect Greece when Rome came and enslaved everyone. Amazing. 

Even though, THE WINNER'S CURSE lacked a few things, the writing left me attentive. I'm still looking forward to the sequel and intrigued in where this is going.

3.5/5 STARS









































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik