Monday, March 2, 2015

ARC Review: Dead to Me by Mary McCoy

Title: Dead to Me by Mary Mccoy

Release Date: March 3, 2015

Publisher: Disney Hyperion

Pages: 304

Received: Publisher-- Thank you Disney Hyperion!

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★  

"Don't believe anything they say."
Those were the last words that Annie spoke to Alice before turning her back on their family and vanishing without a trace. Alice spent four years waiting and wondering when the impossibly glamorous sister she idolized would return to her--and what their Hollywood-insider parents had done to drive her away.
When Annie does turn up, the blond, broken stranger lying in a coma has no answers for her. But Alice isn't a kid anymore, and this time she won't let anything stand between her and the truth, no matter how ugly. The search for those who beat Annie and left her for dead leads Alice into a treacherous world of tough-talking private eyes, psychopathic movie stars, and troubled starlets--and onto the trail of a young runaway who is the sole witness to an unspeakable crime. What this girl knows could shut down a criminal syndicate and put Annie's attacker behind bars--if Alice can find her first. And she isn't the only one looking. [goodreads]


My Thoughts:


I was quite surprised when I read this premise. The description can attract many readers-- especially with a noir/film/mystery involved. I really liked the background and era. It had a modern touch and I'm not surprised it followed that direction. But what really caught my eye: No one was positively safe and some characters would be terrifying in the era (40's). Living in California and having visited Hollywood, I felt like I was on common ground. All the aspects in a novel, characters, plot direction, story etc., were weaved together seamlessly, and the author crafted a genuine mystery.

The more you fell into the story, the more you can't put down the book because the mystery is overwhelming. I was continually changing my mind on who was the deceiver. Some of the puzzles were predictable and left me tongue tied. The story follows Alice and her sister Annie has been beaten and in the hospital. Alice finds her sister with a "so called friend" of Annie's, which is suspicious.

What I enjoyed about this story was that the author kept me questioning the characters' motives and next move. And for a mystery novel, those are the most terrifying not knowing. It was interesting to see that it's clearly to point out the convict. But the novel didn't follow that exact direction, but how they did it.

Even though Mary McCoy's storytelling had a consistent dark tone, it brought out the best of the novel. After reading in the YA mystery category, I think I'm finally opening up to the genre. 

Dead to Me is on sale March 3, 2015. 

4/5 STARS









































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik