Thursday, June 4, 2015

ARC Review: Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charipotra and Dhonielle Clayton



Title: Tiny Pretty Things

Release Date: May 26, 2015

Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 448

Received: Publisher

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best. [goodreads]

My Thoughts


The first things to point out, is the cover. Before reading the summary, I was quite intrigued in the color contrast and ribbons. Once I found out it was about ballet, I picked it up immediately. I used to take ballet classes, while I was younger and I thought there would be a connection. But everything in the Manhattan ballet school is nothing like what happens in an ordinary school. It had a fast pace for me, personally and I enjoyed the mystery. Tiny Pretty Things is diverse, the authors wrote in a POC(person of color) protagonist, and the novel did not hide anything. 

Gigi's character felt like she's not a "try-hard", but receives all the benefits from one. She was more of a free-spirit and whenever someone pulled a prank on her, it was always her. I felt real empathy for Gigi because she had enemies everywhere and I tried my best to cherish her happy moments. There was plenty of drama to go around in everyone's lives. Sometimes there was some unnecessary incidents. These characters, Gigi, Bette, and June, are very complex and they all share a common goal: to land the lead role.

Bette is more of the "mean girl" type and in the beginning I didn't know if I could bare her because an almost racial accusation. She did plenty of wrong throughout the novel and her love for Alec got a little carried away. Her family was actually quite competitive, but what she needed to do was stop comparing herself to anyone. 

June had a very closed personality. Her mom is Korean and her dad was American. Throughout the novel, June wanted to find her dad and impress her mom that she wasn't just an understudy. The results were surprising to me, but someone had to lose in order for her to level up.

Tiny Pretty Things represents the shortcomings of teenage idleness and follows more of a dancer's daydream. There wasn't a big cliffhanger, but there should be a sequel. Spotlights go out some time.

Tiny Pretty Things is on sale May 26, 2015.

4/5 STARS










































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik