Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

Title: The Unexpected Everything

Release Date: May 3, 2016

Publisher: Simon and Schuster

Pages: 519

Received: In-Store

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★  


Andie had it all planned out. 

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected. 


And where’s the fun in that? [goodreads]




My Thoughts



It's summer and I'd call this the perfect summer read! I've been handling my reading slump efficiently, but I couldn't resist devouring another Morgan Matson novel! It's weird because if she dropped another novel, I'm so committed I would drop what I'm doing and buy it. Back to THIS novel, I adored it immensely. The dynamics of the characters and the relationships, also the cameo of Emily and Dawn's relationships! The Unexpected Everything was more expecting than anything, but it did not limit the novel as a whole, it lasts as a warm and touching feeling as a result.

Just letting you, the reader, know this has spoilers, so check yourself and come back! If so, let's move on to the characters! The main course, the main reason you went to the party, the characters! Andie Walker is the main character who thinks she's done everything accordingly. She has her perfect summer internship, good group of friends, and in enough relationships to keep her whole. I wanted to relate to Andie, but some characteristics were...overused. I enjoyed how she came out of a situation, like how she found the dog walking job. She bounces back and forth but it won't stop her from seeing the prize. Also, the relationship between Andie and her father was very heart-felt. I enjoyed all the little things, the movies, the dinners, and the parenting surfacing, Andie needed a parental figure in her life, and her dad really came to action.

Oh yeah, so the love interest? I cannot believe Clark was a writer! And the connection of Doug from Since You've Been Gone...It's the little things guys. Clark seemed liked the perfect boyfriend and it did bring Andie to surface with real feelings. Their relationship was very cute and gushy, so I'll spare you the amount of times I hugged my book. There were cliche moments and it became meta when Toby was mentioning those cliche moments. The friends! I loved this group of friends, I envied this group and it seemed like a typical teen summer. 

Let's move along to that ending! Especially the deleted scenes/ additional epilogues. It seemed very open ended to me, I know Morgan Matson says she won't write sequels, but she leaves them wide open...so she can write them! But none the less, I'll take what I can get. I especially love how Morgan sounds so excited to talk about her characters near the end! I could feel the radiation of her excitement.

I think I needed this book at this time. It'll definitely be a reread in the late future. The Unexpected Everything left me content with the characters and the story. I wouldn't trade it for any other.

4/5 STARS









































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik