Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Release Date: July 8, 2014

Publisher: Henry Holt

Pages: 492

Received: Giveaway (ARC Format)

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★  

                    In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight—but she doesn’t—and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom—to a prince she has never met.

On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love.

My Thoughts:

I originally received this a few weeks before the release day. I never picked it up until now because it didn't appeal to me, at the time. I regret not picking it up sooner. I basically read 75% in a day and the other 25% in 3 days. That's why I'm blown away on how faster things moved on. THE KISS OF DECEPTION certainly does not deceive.

Princess Arabella, now Lia, wants to step out of tradition. She finds herself betrothed to a prince she hasn't even met. In the morning of her wedding, Lia escapes to a far village. She settles into a new life and learns how things really work. Up until the arrival of two strangers. One is the prince she was betrothed to and the other is an assassin. Lia finds herself discovering secrets and falling in love.

I don't want to keep you long, so I'm sorry if I'm vague. I would definitely recommend this to lovers of YA Fantasy. The writing wasn't anything unique, but it was special nonetheless. Until the last 150 pages, you are given who was the assassin and the prince. I was mind blown when I found out. 

There is humor, love, action, and a fierce heroine. Some choices Lia made, annoyed me. But it was easy to put up with. There were scenes in the middle that seemed unneeded, which irked me. It was enjoyable without a doubt. The more I think about the ending, the more it didn't satisfy me. But the concept of the world was fascinating and compelling.

If you are into any Young Adult, I highly recommend this. THE KISS OF DECEPTION was intense and spellbinding. I'm not sure if it's worth a reread in the future because I wouldn't be as surprised like the first time. But I'm definitely going to pick up the rest of the chronicles.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Images by Freepik