Monday, July 28, 2014

Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins



Release Date: July 9, 2013

Publisher: Dutton

Pages: 378

Received: eBook 

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★  








Summary:
                Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


My Thoughts:

This was my second reread of LOLA and I enjoyed it more than the first time around. Stephanie Perkins is known for writing cute characters, that anyone can gush over. This one definitely sold me. I read this in one sitting and it was no doubt a mistake. I wish I took more time falling in love with the characters and its surroundings, but it was torture to put this novel down. This was no insult, Ms. Perkins, but a compliment. I'm writing this review a few weeks after I've read it, so I'm sorry if I don't break it down enough. Nonetheless, extraordinary and eccentric.

Lola Nolan is a fashion enthusiast. Some might mistaken it for costume. Her style is bright, loud, wild, and shimmering. The more, the better. Everything in her life is exactly how she wants it, including her hot, rock star boyfriend. Up until, the return of the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket. When Cricket steps out of his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally find her true feelings for the boy next door.

LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR is a riveting journey from start to finish. This book took me away from my reality and created more unrequited fictional I would die to live in. The plot seems so simple, but written so complex. I loved the her writing style and how she wrote the characters. I liked that LGBTQ characters were created and the relationships between the family. The ending was definitely a fairy tale ending. I'm definitely not complaining. 

I'm not sure I'm ready to leave this world of ANNA, LOLA, and ISLA books. I'm highly anticipating ISLA and it's unbearable to think it'll be over. LOLA didn't hit that home run, but it was no doubt a winner. ANNA's story will always stick with me. If you haven't had a chance yet, go pick up ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR. I cannot even put into words on how excited I am for ISLA.

4/5 STARS












































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik