Saturday, May 31, 2014

Book Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson




Release Date: May 6, 2014

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 449

Received: Publisher

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★








Summary:
               The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try... unless they could lead back to her best friend. Apple Picking at Night? Ok, easy enough.Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a Stranger? Wait... what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?


My Thoughts:

First I'd like to thank Simon & Schuster for providing me the book for a review!

It's no surprise I've read everything Morgan Matson has written. After I binged her previous novels, I knew I HAD to pick up her recent novel. All of her books, including this one, blew me away! The way this woman writes, speaks to me; basically on a spiritual level. Morgan Matson is such a fun person to follow on Twitter, and it was aspiring to see bits of her personality in some of her characters. This woman has talent and uses it to her best advantage.

It has always been Sloane and Emily in Emily's mind. Sloane has always been the socialite in their friendship. Emily would rather be by Sloane's side than engage in her own conversation. Emily has always been dependent on Sloane, but that suddenly changes. Sloane mysteriously disappears without a trace except a list of outlandish tasks Emily would never dream of doing. Emily's sense of security is to finish all 13 outrageous tasks and maybe that will lead her way to Sloan.

SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE was summer in one book. The plot was a joy ride and I wish I could take that ride again. The main characters were likeable and easy to follow. I loved their personalities and what they had to offer to the plot. I can now basically say I loved them through and through. I am human enough to say they are flawed, but all characters are flawed. We just keep denying it and hiding from the truth. Frank Porter, the love interest, was my new love after seeing he had QUALITY music taste.

I've really missed music playlists in books, especially Morgan Matson's. I was so happy to see playlists and the comparison of Emily and Frank's. This was gotten me hooked on Frank's character and his undeniable cuteness. The serendipity feeling runs from start to finishThe way she added recurring characters that pop up in her previous books is creative. The way she makes it work with the plot is a test to her beautifully written crafts.

All the good things you've heard of this book, IS TRUE. The plot is promising and keeps you wanting more. We see Emily spread her wings and try new things. You can basically call it a "Coming of Age" novel, but it's so much more. The journey started off with a anticipating kick off. You get so invested in the characters and the plot is so addicting that you never stop and appreciate until it's gone. The ending was everything I was hoping and more. The only minor thing I had a problem of was the way she wrapped up some friendships. But I loved it through thick and thin.

I wish I took time to savor SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE. It's a book you hold onto and gives you that summer vibe.  If you've read any Morgan Matson novel, you WILL devour this book uncontrollably.  It models as a craft to get you, and many other readers, to fall in love with engrossing characters and intriguing relationships. This is truly Morgan Matson at her finest. 

4.5/5 STARS








































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik