Monday, August 11, 2014

Starglass by Phoebe North

Title: Starglass by Phoebe North

Release Date: July 23, 2014

Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers

Pages: 448

Received: Bought

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★½  

Terra has never known anything but life aboard the Asherah, a city-within-a-spaceship that left Earth five hundred years ago in search of refuge. At sixteen, working a job that doesn't interest her, and living with a grieving father who only notices her when he's yelling, Terra is sure that there has to be more to life than what she's got. But when she inadvertently witnesses the captain's guard murdering an innocent man, Terra is suddenly thrust into the dark world beneath her ship's idyllic surface. As she's drawn into a secret rebellion determined to restore power to the people, Terra discovers that her choices may determine life or death for the people she cares most about. With mere months to go before landing on the long-promised planet, Terra has to make the decision of a lifetime--one that will determine the fate of her people. [goodreads]




My Thoughts


I originally heard of STARGLASS last year on Goodreads. Veronica Roth rated this novel 5 stars, so I knew I had to read this sooner or later.I rarely read YA Sci-Fi, but this one was not bad. STARGLASS has a fascinating premise, but the execution was utterly predictable and awkward.

Terra has been aboard Asherah, a spaceship, all her life. She is 16 and settling into her new life. But despite her tedious job and gruesome father, Terra still hopes for better things to come along. Then she finds herself in a secret rebel group, that'll build her future or destory the present.

First of all, there are some key points I'd like to point out. I saw a post of a reader complaining about the lack of Jewish themes in YA (which didn't include WWII stories). That does seem to be the trend nowadays. It's rare to find Jewish societies and characters in YA. But STARGLASS is up to the task. Also, there was some great diversity shining in the novel. I truly think these aspects are important to not only YA, but the world.

There were also some things that bothered me in the novel. The plot was predictable, to say the least. But near the end, so many things happened and once. I was following the pages like a hawk. I have mixed feelings for the characters. There were times I'd be rooting for them, then in a flash I'd cringe by all the awkwardness. Overall, STARGLASS wasn't a perfect read, but fairly satisfying.

I would recommend this to readers of Beth Revis "Across the Universe" trilogy or to readers who enjoy YA Sci-Fi. I am now fired up for the sequel, STARBREAK.


3.5/5 STARS




























No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik