Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Book Review: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen



Release Date: May 11, 2004

Publisher: Penguin

Pages: 374

Received: Bought

Star Rating: ★ ★ ★  








Summary:
                A long, hot summer...

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father.

But sometimes, unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?


My Thoughts:

This was my very first Sarah Dessen novel. I can truly say, it made my expectations. From others, I've heard this was one of her best novels. I can't form an opinion on that because I haven't read any of her other work. The writing was impressive and beautifully formed. But I did have some dislikes with this one. I was on the brink of rating this three stars, but I contemplated the relationships, family and love, and discovered how truthful it all was.

Macy has nothing to look forward to other than her boring job at the library and studying for the SATs in the summer. Her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Time will be passed while Macy and her mother silently grieve about the tragic death of Macy's father. But unexpected things start to change, for the better. Such as a catering job at Wish, while working side by side her new friends/crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the family's old beach house. Maybe even meeting a boy, Wes, who could relate and comfort Macy. They both have truths to whisper and stories to tell, but could falling in love be the possible outcome?

THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER tells a genuine story about how truths can be measured farther than forever. I really want to highlight the writing again because it's unique and superb. I understood the characters and their back stories. It touched my heart and left it pumping strong. I really enjoyed the other characters like Kristy, Caroline, etc.

Whenever a character makes me laugh, I'm hooked. I especially loved the ending, it was everything I hoped for and more. But like a roller coaster, it had its ups and downs. I'm not going to go deep into this, but it had slow and fast moments. 

It's hard to forget that there's no sequels or short stories after these type of novels. It keeps me up thinking if any of the characters are doing well, but then again... they're fictional. I've learned many things through this book, especially how grief unravels you. I'm completely sure if I'll pick up another Dessen novel any time soon, but I do hope it is as beautiful as this one.


4/5 STARS

































No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik